Thursday, March 1, 2012

No Hair, Don't Care

Me and my lil sis
Thinking back on my days rocking  a cropped 'do right after my BC (after only three months of transition) and my TWA days, it seems like such a distant memory although it wasn't too long ago.  I remember it fondly.  I remember feeling TRULY natural... like naked natural.  Not hiding behind anything... I felt fearless and other people could look at me and instantly see that fearlessness.  Sometimes under the surface, I was confident and indeed fearless, other times I was not.  It all depended on my mood and how my hair was looking that day. 
I remember having to go to job interviews and of course having to wear a suit.  I had to go out and buy a suit just because of my hair because the only suit I owned was a pantsuit and a pantsuit with cropped hair?  No bueno.  Plus I couldn't wear my usual big hoop or dangly earrings that assured everyone I was indeed a woman.  I had to go with my little studs and minimal makeup.  There was no way I could wear a pantsuit... so I had to invest in a skirt suit.  To this day whenever I see that skirt suit I remember going to interviews with my TWA and not feeling totally confident.  On one or two occasions it may have cost me the job (my confidence level, not my  hair).
But still I remember those times fondly.  The picture above especially is my favorite.  I feel beautiful in the picture in the most basic, natural way possible.  Not because of makeup or a hairdo or an outfit, but just because I am intrinsically beautiful.  We all are!  And somehow in that moment, I knew that.
So for my fellow naturalistas who are waiting for their hair to grow out.  Stop waiting and bask in these moments.  You will think back on them and remember them fondly if you're not in too much of a hurry for your hair to get big and bouncy.  It'll get there, worry not.  But be who you are NOW... a fearless, natural beauty out from behind the curtains.

No comments:

Post a Comment