Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fashion on a Dime 2

Inspired by the program I saw about thrift shopping which I blogged about recently, I decided with my mom and Sis to visit the thrift store.  Well truly we were tired of sitting around and we were all a little low on funds so the thrift store seemed like a fitting place to go.  My mom took us to a great Salvation Army, even better than the one close to me which I went on about on another blog post.  They had some great home decorative items ... like really fancy stuff that you would see on one of those home design programs on TV.  The prices were of course heavily discounted but because of the quality of merchandise, some of the prices were higher than what you would consider thrift store prices.
Anyway, enough about.  I went off on my own to no other than the dress section (I LOVE dresses) and instantly a cute little dress caught my eye.  You see, the reason why discount shopping is hard for me is because I have no attention to detail and no patience to comb aisles looking and searching and if I don't have a vision for a piece of clothing right away, I have a hard time deciding whether to buy it.  I don't have that creative eye that shows me all the different ways I could make a frumpy piece of clothing fabulous.  It has to be fabulous from the start.  Well this dress grabbed me and I wasn't sure why.  It was floral and kind of a dowdy floral but somehow I was OK with this.  I tried to put it back because it's not a traditionally "pretty dress" and I couldn't figure out why I liked it but somehow I couldn't leave it, I took it to the fitting room and tried it on.  Now another challenge with thrift store shopping is size!  I am a small woman (I wear a size 1 or 2 or x-small to small).  It's hard finding these sizes in thrift stores, usually the sizes are medium and large.  This dress of course was a medium.  But I made it work because it had a tie in the back that cinched the waist and made it fit even though it was a smidge on the big side.
I liked it on me.  Something about it looked classy yet cute.  $8.99... I held on to it.  Then I discovered that there is a Junior section.  Just like the dress a jacket grabbed my eye right off the bat, no searching or combing aisles.  It was a military style jacket in my favorite colors, blue and red.  What luck!  It is cotton so the blue was a little washed out as my sister pointed out but it wasn't too bad, I still loved it.  I have a black military style jacket that is more of my dress-up and go out jacket, this one was more casual and the colors to die for.  Plus gold buttons!  Can't go wrong.  And with that I ended my foray into the aisles.  I had exceeded my budget believe it or not and didn't want to get greedy. 
Now none of us had gone in with the intention of purchasing anything but I left with my two items, my sis with a pair of fabulous shoes and my mom with an entertainment stand (yes a huge one that she would have to have delivered).  Not bad for less than an hour in Salvation Army!
My finds are pictured below.

Oh and coincidentally I had plans to go see a musical and had forgotten my dress and jacket at my apartment about an hour away and so had nothing to wear.... EXCEPT my thrift store dress and jacket came in handy!  I also got a stamp of approval from the bf.  He loved my outfit (blush)
Well fashionistas, I think I'm hooked with this thrifting thing... I'll  definitely be frequenting my local thrift store and in the meantime there are always stores like Forever 21 and H&M where you can get your fashion on for less.  Stay fabulous, Queens!

No comments:

Post a Comment