Saturday, October 8, 2011

Natural Hair Feature: Debbie



Why did you decide to go natural and what was the transitioning process like for you?
I was curious about my natural texture and began to wonder why I felt the need to straighten my hair. I didn't transition very long as I'm not the most patient. I transitioned for about 4 months and then BC'ed.

What do you love most about being natural?

I love the fact that I am embracing me as I am naturally and my hair as it grows out of my head. I no longer feel like I am hiding anything about my hair.

What is your regimen and how do you often style your hair?
I try to make use of whatever state my hair is in and just revive the style that may be in at the time because I don't have time to create a new style every day. For example I braid my hair after washing and conditioning and after it dries then I twist. After a few days I will do a twistout and then it will slowly turn into a 'fro which I just moisturize to make it look supple and soft and I will wear this until I shampoo again. I moisturize twice a day with coconut oil or vatika oil sometimes after spritzing with water. To moisturize my 'fro or twistouts I use whatever I have on hand but usually a cream-based moisturizer sealed with an oil. My current creams are Phyto's Quinoa Oil styling cream, Oyin's HoneyDew or Qhemet Biologics Olive and Honey which is awesome to make your 'fro instantly soft and supple-looking.

My wash routine is simple: After detangling and braiding in sections, I wash hair in sections with a black soap shampoo, condition with a natural conditioner, I then moisturize damp hair before re-braiding with castor oil. I twist with any butter or butter mix on hand - shea butter/coconut oil mix or sometimes Oyin's Whipped Pudding.

What advice do you have for other naturals or those considering going natural?

Don't set unrealistic expectations for your hair or yourself and be truthful with yourself about why you are going natural. It is hard work but worth it if that's where you want to go.

What are three words that describe your hair now?

Fluffy, Fluffy and Fluffy...oh and Beautiful

What does being "natural" mean to you?
Leaving things as they are

Where can we find you on the internet?

www.a-curl-can-dream.blogspot.com
 

1 comment: