Tuesday, September 13, 2011

for the jet-setting naturalista

Going on vacation always brings hair worries.  You never know how a change in weather/climate might affect your hair.  In addition, while on vacation, you're hardly as gung-ho about spending hours washing, detangling and styling your hair including waiting for it to air dry or to "set" in your desired style.  Who has time for that?... there's fun to be had, sightseeing to do, towns to be painted red!  At the same time, no true naturalista wants to do all this while not feeling her most attractive.... i.e. her hair is acting and looking crazy!  Even abroad, we naturalistas still have to represent!
This is my third vacation since going natural.  My first vacation was kind of a cop out... I got long box braid extensions and kept them in during and for some time after my trip to Costa Rica. No hair fuss there!  They were heavy and cumbersome and sometimes hot but very minimal grooming necessary leaving plenty of time to do what I came to do.
However, this is not always the desirable option.  My most recent vacation (last week), I did not have the time nor the desire or energy to have extensions braided in, so I just went with it.  In preparation I did twists and left them in overnight.  Unfortuantely my hair isn't long enough yet where I can wear the actual twists out and about and look fly with them.  They're not long enough to be pinned up or styled and some of them inevitably stick out.  I had a 61/2 hour flight to San Francisco not including my one hour stopover and knew my twist-out would not hold up through sleeping in weird positions on the plane.  I'd arrive in beautiful San Fran looking a hot mess!
So I braved it and wore my homely looking twists for the flight.  It was too early in the morning for me to care and I did indeed sleep through most of the flight.  Once I landed, groggy and disheveled, I ran to the bathroom to take out my twists.  It was taking longer than I had expected and I couldn't leave my ride waiting.  Plus, I didnt' have a mirror at hand.  I took out the majority of them, fluffed and went along my way for a great day in San Fran. 
Luckily northern Cali this time of year is virtually humidity free.  I was in shock, no frizz, and best of all, no shrinkage.  I spent entire days outdoors with no change in my hair.  I was amazed coming from the Humidity...errr... I mean Sunshine State where shrinkage is inevitable within minutes of being outdoors.
A few days in, I luckily found some knit hats that were cute and I didn't feel weird about wearing them because it was actually chilly, even cold at times.  I retwisted my hair and I rocked my knit hats over it for a full day and then I took them out again for a fresh twist out.  Overall it all went well.
 Of course the minute I landed back in Florida, my hair turned into a shrunken frizzy mess but I had a good run, right? (Seriously considering moving to California!)

No comments:

Post a Comment