Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Earrings and such ...



I have developed an obsession with earrings since going natural.  Before I did my Big Chop, I was never really a big earring person.  I had the basics: a hoop here, a stud there but I never went around on the prowl for new and exciting earrings.  As a matter of fact, I didn't see anything exciting about earrings.

My obsession started just prior to my Big Chop.  My biggest worry was that I would look like a boy, especially since I work as a physical therapist where the standard work uniform is scrubs or khakis.  I felt like one of the few ways I could reclaim my femininity was to have big girly earrings and/or long dangly ones... my basic little studs just wouldn't cut it.

So when I went shopping to get my basic natural hair items, I also went earring shopping.  It felt weird buying these big dangly girly earrings since I was never a huge fan of big earrings before but I found a few I was excited about.  And that's where it all began.  Now I have maybe 50 pairs, coming for maybe 5.  I have long dangly ones, big ones, unique designs, threader earrings, large studded ones, feather earrings, you name it.  I get excited when I see earrings!  Now, even though my hair has grown way past a cropped cut and looks feminine on its own, my zeal for earrings remains.  I love them!  Some of my favorites and most recent are below.



On a side note, in addition to earrings, now that I've developed pride in my natural hair and feel a part of a community of fellow naturalistas, I've been on the prowl for a t-shirt that says just how I feel about my hair.  Fashion is self-expression right?  I couldn't find just the right one so I made one myself.  I love what it says because it's playful and fun and cheeky.

Because I know I will never go back to having relaxed hair, I need these little affirmations, these cute little things, to be excited about and to keep this journey fun: earrings and silly t-shirts included.  Maybe one day I'll have my own line of fashion accessories and t-shirts but as for now, I just have a lot of fun adding my own flair to my appearance.  I hope you'll be feel motivated to add your own "flair" and share your ideas with the rest of us naturalistas so we can be inspired too.

No comments:

Post a Comment