Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Ms. Angola Crowned Ms. Universe




I used to watch the Ms. America and Ms. Universe pageants as a child.  I guess it fit with my princess fantasies.  The crown, the glamour, the adoration of of everyone around.  Once in awhile, the winner was someone who I related to but rarely. 
I don't watch the pageant anymore.  Maybe because I no longer have princess fantasies or maybe because I've grown cynical and  it's seems like just another staged reality show.  But when I found out the winner was a beautiful, intelligent brown skinned black woman from Angola, I have to admit I was suddenly interested again.  Instead of reliving my fantasies this time, I felt proud.  Not to say the inner and outer beauty of intelligent black woman is not ordinarily recognized in present day America, but whenever I see it, it makes me feel good because I believe that beauty comes in all colors, shapes, sizes, etc. (at the risk of sounding like an after-school special).  So, let's hope Ms. Angola uses her new status as Ms. Universe to draw attention to the poverty and HIV crisis going on in her country as she mentioned during the pageant and she will be a role model for young black girls everywhere... princess fantasies aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment