Monday, September 19, 2011

Happy to be Nappy?

Nappy: "downy," 1499, from nap (n.). Meaning "fuzzy, kinky," used in colloquial or derogatory ref. to the hair of black people, is from 1950.

    Since the very first time I thought about going natural, I have pondered the word nappy.  I never looked into the historical origin of it, but always felt deep down it had some derogatory connotation, at least historically.  The reason I felt such a deep-seated disdain of the word is I remember it being used by the mean kids in school to try to put somebody down or humiliate them.  "Nappy-headed" is the exact term I remember being used.  Back then I didn't have the social conscience I do now, I just remember that I hated hearing that word.
Now many years later, it is proudly used by many naturals to define their own hair.  When I explain to some people my reaction when hearing that word used to describe a black person's hair, I get the reaction that I'm too sensitive and the word is not at all offensive.  I started to question whether I had any right to feel this way.
    And still, I hear that word used by non-naturals.  I had a black co-worker tell me when I had first cut off my hair, that she had considered going natural but her hairdresser told her her hair was "too nappy".  I was appalled that a hairdresser would say that to her client, first and foremost.  But the word nappy is often used in that context connoting that "nappy" hair is not appropriate or presentable to be worn as is and it has to be straightened or tamed and is therefore, a bad thing.
    My feeling is that this word is at least historically a derogatory word as the above definition taken straight out of the dictionary says.  I think just like certain other words specific to people of African descent, people are trying to "take back" the word, as in use it in such a way to take away the derogatory connotation, by say it pridefully.  Or maybe they are trying to assert the fact that "nappy" hair is indeed suitable in its natural state and not a bad thing  i.e. I am happy to be nappy.
    However, the word often does not have such a positive connotation when used by non-naturals or even worse by other races.  Don Imus for example who used the word "nappy-headed hoes" to refer to a group of black female basketball players, obviously felt the word was OK.  Is it weird that the "nappy-headed" part offended me just as much as the "hoes" part?  Perhaps.  On one hand, I think it's great that naturals are "taking back" the word nappy but on another hand I just feel like nappy is one of the words I would like to see disappear from the English language altogether because no matter how much you use the word pridefully to describe your own hair, it will always reak of the ways it's been used to put black women down.  What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. never been crazy abut that word either. you can 'take it back' all day long but my question is, if there are sweeter-sounding words to use to describe my curls (coily, springy, cotton-y, kinky-curly) why work so hard on 'nappy'? nice post

    ReplyDelete