Tuesday, January 31, 2012

No More Stress


Stress can affect us in many ways beyond the emotional impact.  It can affect our health, it can affect our appearance as well (hair loss, weight loss or weight gain, etc).  The effects of stress are far reaching.  When we are stressed our bodies release cortisol which is linked to belly fat and also to hair loss.  Stress can exacerbate or cause illness, which only increases stress levels and it becomes a vicious cycle.
Here are a list of ways this can affect you:


Higher and more prolonged levels of cortisol in the bloodstream (like those associated with chronic stress) have been shown to have negative effects, such as:
  • Impaired cognitive performance
  • Suppressed thyroid function
  • Blood sugar imbalances such as hyperglycemia
  • Decreased bone density
  • Decrease in muscle tissue
  • Higher blood pressure
  • Lowered immunity and inflammatory responses in the body, slowed wound healing, and other health consequences
  • Increased abdominal fat, which is associated with a greater amount of health problems than fat deposited in other areas of the body. Some of the health problems associated with increased stomach fat are heart attacks, strokes, the development of metabolic syndrome, higher levels of “bad” cholesterol (LDL) and lower levels of “good” cholesterol (HDL), which can lead to other health problems!
From ( http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm)
I personally know myself to be very stress prone.  I have had to find ways to control my stress and I have been fairly successful lately at being aware of when my stress levels are getting out of control and ways to curb it.  So here are some tips for you guys.

1)  Meditation/deep breathing:  I know what you're saying: "who has time for all that??".  You do!  In 7 minutes you can calm your mind and your spirit with deep breathing and meditation.  I have an app on my phone that is a 7 minute guided meditation and it's free.  I am sure there are plenty of them available.  The one I use is called "Yoga Nidra Meditation".  But you don't need an app.  All you have to do is slow down your breathing, close your eyes, pretend time has come to halt and focus on your breath as it enters your body and leaves.  Imagine each breath entering your nostrils, making its way through your bronchi and bronchioles and down into your lungs.  Imagine this air is pure and clean.  As you exhale, imagine your breath leaving your body and imagine this air you are releasing is all your stress and toxicity.  Feel it leave your body with each exhale.  There are many other visualizations you can use as well.  The whole point is for a few minutes to stop thinking about what you did yesterday and what you have to do tomorrow or even a minute from now.  It's to be present and focus inward.  And it really helps to do it at least once a day.

2)  Aromatherapy:  I recently invested in a tiny bottle of lavendar essential oil.  I originally bought it to add to some hair concoction I had made to give it a pleasant smell. Well I decided it wasnt' the smell I was going for for my hair, but I came to realize that the smell of the lavendar really immediately put me in a more relaxed state.  I literally carry the tiny bottle around with me in my bag and take whiffs of it throughout the day.  Find an essential oil or any other oil that is proven to be relaxing.  These are often the same scents they use at the spa and if you get massages you might come to associate these scents with just that: relaxation.  You can put a few drops in your  bath and soak in it, or put a few drops on your pillowcase before you go to sleep or carry it around with me and at points in your day close your eyes and take a whiff.

3)  Give yourself TIME:  I used to (and sometimes still) start my day stressed.  I'd be running late for work, weaving through traffic and cursing at people through my window (I have a bad case of road rage).  Then I came to realize if I left my house 5 minutes... just 5 minutes...earlier, I could have a pleasant stress-free drive to work.  It could even be meditative.  When I allow myself time, I sometimes turn off the radio, recline the chair a bit and have a leisurely drive enjoying the scenery around me.  So what if the person before me is doing 40 mph in a 50?  That's OK because I have time.  I know you want to sleep in.  But is 5 extra minutes in a half-sleep/half-wake state really going to make a difference in how rested you feel?  Probably not, might as well put those extra minutes to having a stress-free drive to work.  This works in other areas too.  It goes without saying but : AVOID PROCRASTINATING.

4)  Listen to your body:  Eat when you're hungry, drink when you're thirsty. When I'm hungry, I'm irritable.  When I'm thirsty/dehydrated, I feel weak and tired.  Both add to feeling stressed.  Keep a water bottle with you and drink when you feel even the least bit thirsty.  Keep a granola bar or some almonds or a healthy snack with you and when you get hungry ... eat.  I know you're on a diet, but denying yourself food when you're hungry is diet suicide and will lead to overeating later.  It's WHAT you eat and the portions you eat, not how regularly you eat.  So just make sure it's not french fries or something greasy and fatty which probably won't energize you anyway.  The bottom line is don't deprive yourself.

5)  Be thankful:  When I have a bad day and I'm stressed, I take a second and reflect on my day and what has gone RIGHT so far.  I ask myself: "What am I thankful for so far today?"  It's not a rhetorical question.  List some things in your head.  It will instantly change your attitude and your mood and you will feel less stressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment