Sunday, November 6, 2011

Natural Hair Love

Whew, what an interesting weekend I had.  It was a roller coaster of sorts.
Anyway, the only part that pertains to this blog really is my experience in the grocery store today.  I must mention that I am so proud of myself.  I have had my hair in a twist updo for a week now even though I prefer it out.  But I'm making the health of my hair a priority over styling and I will set it free for a couple of days soon enough.  But, I feel like my hair in twists looks OK at best.  Anyway, I went to Publix with my mom today and there is a group of black women standing around the seafood section and I kind of peeked my head in to see what was on sale.  One of the women looks at me and says, "Your hair looks fabulous!".  My response, "Who me?" Not what I expected, especially from another black woman.  Now before you get on my case for this one, black people I think have been the least receptive to my natural hair.  I get compliments from other races but rarely from a black woman,... that coupled with that I didn't feel particularly fly with my twist updo made me look around to see who exactly she was talking to.  "Yes you", she said, looking dead at me and I gave a coy "Thank you".  I start down the aisle after my mom with my chest a little higher and trying not to smile too hard.  My mom who overheard the compliment says how everyone is embracing the natural hair these days, and that it's becoming a movement.  I see another black woman stocking shelves in the aisles who obviously overheard the compliment AND my mom's comment and says, "yes everybody's going natural".  She had her hair in large flat twists and from the looks of it she was not natural but perhaps transitioning.  I ask if she's natural and she says, no but she's trying to be.  I smiled even wider then. 
Something about this random support for natural hair among black women right there in that supermarket bolstered my pride.  I know there are still a lot of black women who wouldn't think of it, and look at those of us that do with a certain level of ridicule, but here coincidentally within 15 square foot space were four black women who appreciate natural black hair.  And the fact that i wasn't rocking a particularly impressive hairdo, it was just plain old twists pinned up and that was enough to garner admiration. I love it and hope it keeps on coming.  Not the compliments necessarily although I love those too, but the support and the not only acceptance but admiration of natural black hair among black women.  It's been a long time coming!
Anyway, I hate to talk about my personal life too much and I also hate to brag but I have the most awesome boyfriend ever!  He regularly visits at my blog and my Youtube channel and reads all my posts and watches all the vids because he's just that supportive.  He tells me he likes my hair even when it's not looking great (in my opinion).  He knows all about twists and twist-outs and all the stuff I do to my hair and I think it's so cute.  And yesterday he tells me he was doing "research" about natural hair products and read about coconut oil and how all the natural black women thinks it's awesome.  Then he proceeded to order me a jar from amazon.com and have it shipped to my apartment.   I read so many articles about women who don't have the support of their significant others and I feel lucky (huge grin).
So yeah, it was a great weekend for my  hair.  I'm definitely feeling and appreciating the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment