Thursday, March 13, 2014

I still love my hurr

Hey y'all.  Just an update on my natural hair journey.  I had mentioned how my hair hasn't been growing much the past few months to a year.  I think I'm finally getting back on track... I think. Hard to tell because I don't do length checks regularly or even at all.  I do know my hair feels healthier so I hope it's growing too.  Check out recent photos below. 
Anyway I want to share my new protein treatment that I love.  Let me start by saying I have suffered from weak brittle hair my whole life.  Being natural, it's a little better, but still a problem.  In my struggle to remedy this, I have tried protein treatments. I tried Aphogee 2 step protein treatment with mixed result. I felt it made my hair stronger but the last two times it seemed to make my hair very hard, dry and brittle(r).  I decided I was protein sensitive and discontinued. 
I have been unable to find something potent enough to strengthen my strands but gentle enough not to cause my strands to react negatively until now.
I found a homemade treatment online that consists of using Greek yogurt as a conditioner.  Now I recently converted to eating Greek yogurt for it's high protein content and I love it but never thought to use it on my hair.  For those who aren't familiar, Greek yogurt is very thick so it makes for a great conditioner as it will stay on your hair instead of dripping off.  I tried plain yogurt (couple tablespoons) with egg whites (about a tablespoon).  I mixed it with just a squirt of one of my conditioners (organic root stimulator) for good measure but you can skip this step.  I mixed together and that was enough to generously slather through my thick hair.  I left on about 10 min then washed my hair thoroughly.  I was afraid of not getting out all of it because it is slightly grainy but after a thorough wash there was no residue.  My hair felt moisturized with no hard scrunchy feeling and I felt like I had gotten some good protein in my hair. We will see if this treatment has any long term effect on my hair.  I hope this was helpful to you guys.
Hasta pasta, naturalistas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment