Sunday, September 30, 2012

Protective Styles

I've diverted my attention to my travels for awhile but let come back to the true intention of this blog for a little bit and I will tell you guys a little bit about my protective style: senegalese twists.  It was quite an ordeal finding someone to do my hair but I really really wanted them for my trip so I wouldn't have to fuss with my hair, worry about things like frizz and shrinkage, having to stretch my hair, worry about tangles... you know, all the those great things about having natural hair (sarcasm).

Anyway, I got them done and immediately started to ponder if the trauma and manipulation your hair suffers from having braids/twists put in is really worth it?  Is it possible that it may offset the benefits of having your hair "put away" for a period of time?  Does it do more harm than good?  It's something to think about.

Anyway, I have had these twists in for 3 weeks now.  They were not installed by a "professional" so they're just barely hanging in but it's still a much needed break from dealing with my hair issues.  My boyfriend likes them and I've gotten quite a few compliments.  Best of all, I was able to enjoy my vacation without worrying too much about it.

Now as a far as caring for it, it's been very low maintenance.  Well, for the first 2 weeks, I was so distracted with my vacation that I forgot to or just plain didn't feel like moisturizing and sealing (my bad!).  However, I did get my hair wet with salt water and was forced to wash it.  I basically used the hotel shampoo, massaged it through my scalp and let the water and the runoff from the shampoo run through my hair while I raked my fingers through it to get it clean.  I then squeezed it dry, put in one large braid and immediately wrapped a tight towel around it to prevent frizzing.  I let most of the water soak into the towel for several hours ( I fell asleep), then I tied it down with my satin scarf for the night.   In the morning, it was dry, mostly frizz free and I had nice curls from my braid-out.

Since I returned from my vacation I have been spritzing with water or using my Curl Enhancing Smoothie and sealing with castor oil.  Last night, I filled my water bottle with water and what was supposed to be a few drops of tea tree oil but my hand slipped and I used way too much but I diluted it as best I could.  Tea tree oil is an antibacterial so it's a great way to keep hair and scalp clean and bacteria free.  I parted the hair and made sure to get all parts of my scalp directly and then I spritzed the length of my hair.  I still plan to wash it next weekend and hopefully keep them in an additional 2 weeks for a total of 6 weeks.  I do have to admit that the getting my hair wet and washing did cause quite a bit of frizzing although I took every precaution to prevent that.  But it needed to be done.  

And that's it!

I'm already thinking of what I'll do with my hair once I take these twists out.  I'm thinking henna and/or bentonite clay treatment (review), stretching it and maybe trying out a wash-n-go, something I have not tried in a long time.  I plan to purchase some Carol's Daughter products including the hair milk which I did a review on awhile back.  My "wash and go" is not a traditional wash and go.  It's done on dry stretched hair by adding a moisturizer such as the hair milk and activator gel to where the hair is "wet" enough that it curls a bit but without as much shrinkage.  I haven't done a wash and go since I had a TWA... it's been awhile.  I plan to try this because I'm exasperated with a the time consuming process of twisting my hair and twist outs don't seem to last long on my hair and I need something lower maintenance.  And I would like to wear my hair out more instead of in twists all the time.  This will just be a trial.  I'll let you guys know how this all goes.

Laters Naturalistas!

1 comment: