Sunday, March 31, 2013

Photography and Me

I have discovered a passion that is new and not-so-new.  It is photography.  It's not-so-new in the sense that it actually began when I was a sophomore in high school and only 16 years old.  I took a photography class.  You know how most people have a story about 1 teacher or 1 class that just made a permanent imprint on them?  Whether it be because the teacher had such a passion for what they were teaching, you couldn't help but give in to it as though it were contagious.  Or it may be that that class spoke to something inside you that you didn't know existed.
I had always been a writer. I loved to write.  I even enjoyed those long boring history papers, I complained about along with my peers just to fit in. I secretly took pride in every word I wrote.  But I discovered a similar love for photography and it was because of both of the reasons I described above.  I loved even developing the pictures.  Maybe being in that dark room with only a romantic red hue, silently watching an image of something you had found beautiful enough to photograph, slowly appear on a blank white glossy piece of paper...the care you had to take not to disrupt this process... maybe all that appealed to the introvert in me.  And it was just so freaking cool!
Well, along the way, I got lost, bumped up on other things, gave in to practicality and chose a career that would give me a steady income (there are other things I love about my career but this was my main drive).  Somehow I held on to my love for writing although it waxed and waned.  And I realize that on a subconscious level I held on to my love for photography too.
When my youngest sister comes to visit, her favorite thing to do is go through me photo albums.  I have photos of EVERYTHING.  I have photos from way back when... moments no one else ever thought to capture.  She loves to oooh and ahh over all the  pictures and the memories they hold.  I like to do the same thing whenever I have a chance.
Whenever I go on vacation, I have to remind myself to be in the moment and enjoy it rather than obsess about capturing each and everything on my camera.  When I take an artistic picture, even though it's usually on my phone, I feel such pride!   And I've come to realize that my love for photography is something I should re-visit.   That is when I bought my $600 camera.  It was hard but it was easy.  Hard because I hate to spend money like that on myself.  It is arguably one of my most expensive possessions.  But easy because I  know it's not a fleeting interest.
Last night I sat at my computer and spent hours looking back at the pictures I had taken (most of them from a phone) and smiling at the memories.  But I realize, I was trying to make some art when I took those picture too although I have no technical knowledge of photography whastsoever.
All that is starting to change, since I have registered for an online photography and photoshop course and I couldn't be more excited.  I've already done some of the lectures and I've learned a lot already.  I've taken my Nikon out and taken some pictures that I'm not ready to share yet.  For now I'll share with you some of my favorite amateur pictures that I feel proudest of whether because it captured a mood or a story or because it was a fond memory frozen in time. Either way, I hope you see my love for photography in these photos.
I had totally bombed a job interview this day and was feeling very blah about myself.  Also this was in my short cropped hair days and I was still getting a feel for the look and not quite comfortable with it.  Anyway, I was bored and slightly somber this day and decided to take self portraits on my phone while sitting outside my mom's house

Honduras

Mom's birthday

Honduras

Freaking out in Honduras

My sis's 13th Birthday

Snow Day in Georgia

Adventures in Honduras



Sunset at the Park

Flowers from my Love

Beach Day

Sunset at the Park

My Dad's New Bride

Smoke

Siesta Key Beach

First Thanksgiving

Tired from playing fetch

Tug of War

Walk in the Park

Colors (self protrait)

Tiger in Costa Rica

Costa Rica

Day at the Park

Manuel Antonio beach Costa Rica

San Fran

Driving in ATL

Costa Rica

San Fran

Puppy Love

A Dog and her Bone

Car Ride with Chloe

Amir (my nephew) after Bath

Beach in Oregon

Mom's House (Dipped in Gold)

Mom at Beach (Jamaica)

Honduras

House on a Hill (Jamaica)

Feeling Gangsta

The Sun after the Snow (Atlanta)

Sunset at Okeeheelee

Springtime in Atlanta
Each one of these photos tell a story.  The captions are just the tip of the iceberg but I hope you understand why I love taking pictures.  I hope I get much better at it through my studies and practice and I can share my works of art with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment