Thursday, January 31, 2013

My First Mini-Haircut

No more mullett!


I've been itching to cut my hair.  I have a problem that I've read a lot of naturals complain about so I know I'm not alone. I have several different textures of hair on my head.  My hair is very thick, course and dense in middle and then in the back it is fine, relatively loosely curled and less dense.  The back of my hair may also grow at a faster rate than the rest of my head or maybe it just retains more.  Or it may just seem that way because the curls are so much looser.  The point is it gives me a mullet look.  The back of my hair always appears to be longer than the the front.  It hangs more and doesn't shrink up as much and reaches down past the nape of my neck while the rest of hair sits just below my ears. 
Having it there gives my hair an overall longer appearance but at the expense of just looking a bit funny.  It's bugged me for awhile but like many naturals who struggle to retain length, it's hard to part with any of it.  Don't get me wrong, I do the occasional trim, but this problem I have was only going to be solved by a straight out cut that involved cutting off perfectly good healthy hair.  Also I was afraid that parting with the long hair at the nape of my neck would make it more difficult for me to put my hair into updos.  What a dilemma!
Well, I did it.  This morning, I woke up, let my hair out and just felt compelled to cut.  And I did.  An inch and a half to two inches of hair! I thought I might feel slightly distraught or regretful but it feels great.  I'm glad I did it!  It's not a drastic difference but my hair does look overall shorter.  It also looks like it has a better shape which is more important than length.  Having some shape makes for a more put together, less haphazard look.  It's worth it if you ask me.  If my nape starts to hang way past the rest of my hair again, I'll have no qualms about cutting it again in the future. 






No comments:

Post a Comment