Saturday, July 21, 2012

Product Review: Cantu Shea Butter (versus Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie)

I ran out of a few products recently and decided to try some new products to try to save some money, still sticking with all natural good quality ingredients.  I decided to replace my Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie with Cantu Shea Butter leave-in conditioning creme (which can also be used on dry hair as a hairdressing moisturizer).  And here are my results:
Let me first say that I loved Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and have been using it through most of my natural hair journey.  It smells great, has quality ingredients, makes my hair soft and moisturized, and is relatively inexpensive (compared to some other natural hair products).  My only reason for trying Cantu Shea Butter is the possibility of getting same results for less cost (roughly $3 difference).  But this is not what I got.
The scent of Cantu Shea Butter does not compare to that of Curl Enhancing Smoothie.  It is a lighter, less sweet scent (which for some people may be a good thing).  But I liked the scent of the smoothie better.  As far as texture, both are thick and creamy but the smoothie is creamier and richer.  The Cantu Shea Butter seemed more water based or less concentrated. 
As far as the effect on my hair, there is no comparison.  The Cantu Shea Butter added moisture and moderate softness to my hair (though nothing like the Curl Enhancing Smoothie).  However after a few hours my hair is back to being dry.  It is not lasting effect.  Whereas the softness and moisture from the smoothie lasted at least 24 hours after application.  I was not happy with my results from the Cantu Shea Butter.  I am so dissatisfied as a matter of fact that I have definite plans to go back to Target and get my Curl Enhancing Smoothie and leave the remainder of the Cantu Shea Butter unused in the back of my cabinet or give it to someone who may have finer, thinner hair and wants something lighter for their hair.  For my thick dense, porous strands, I need a little more.  I need a LOT more.  So Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie is a clear winner for me.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I just brought the curl enhancing smoothie and plan to try it out. I have the Cantu leave in and although I love it, I'm looking for a little more. I hope the curl smoothie is just that. It smells ssssoooooooo delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nika... I hope you like the Curl Enhancing Smoothie as much as I do. I think it's a great buy and yes the scent is to die for :)

    ReplyDelete