Sunday, June 3, 2012

Protective Styles

The summer is here, which for us here in Florida, means heat but even worse HUMIDITY!  My worst enemy.  Last week I started to get bored (even more than usual) with my twists and decided to take them down on Thurs. and set my hair free right through the Memorial Day weekend which I did.  I kept it out for 5 days straight, humidity and all.  I did my best to re-stretch it at night.  I was happy to have it out and my boyfriend (who's been complaining that I haven't been wearing it out for him to play in) was happy too.  But come detangling time on Tuesday I was NOT HAPPY!  Tangles up the wazoo!
That's when I realized I need a long-term protective style for the summer.  I miss my hair when it's put away in braids but it'll be a much welcome break and something to break up the boredom... a different style.  Plus my hair will be happy with less manipulation. 
So what are my options?

Wigs:
I'm not a fan of wigs generally.  I made one attempt to embrace the wig and it was  disaster.  $50 down the drain... ouch!  Never felt like I could pull of the wig.  My sister on the other hand, can pull of wigs, weaves, whatever it is effortlessly.  Check out her half wig that she recently bought and is very excited about.  I'm considering giving it another go.  The benefit is I wouldn't miss my real hair as much because all I'd have to do is remove the wig, and there she is!

Twists/Braids:

This is the option I usually go for.   Last summer, I rocked long box braids.  It was a great style, everyone loved it including me.  But they were so heavy, they made my neck hurt.  It was like carrying a weight on my head pulling my head down and straining to keep it up.  The first few weeks were rough but I pulled through.  However, I think I may opt for shorter, less heavy  braids next time.  There are other options also like tree braids, senegalese twists, kinky twists.

What I am considering doing is some mini-twists on my real hair and wearing it for at least 4 weeks if it'll last that long.  I can try to wash it in the twists and see how that goes.  The hours it'll take to put them in makes me cringe but it might be worth it.  I'm gonna try it and see how it goes and go from there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment