Thursday, December 15, 2011

Natural Hair Feature: Lisa


Yes, I decided to do a natural hair feature on myself.  The reason is, what better way for my viewers to get to know me and my hair journey than to do my very own feature?  If anyone is interested in being featured on my blog, please email me at monalisa369@aol.com with the subject "Natural Hair Feature".  Thanks guys!

Why did you decide to go natural and what was the transitioning process like for you?
I decided to go natural because I was tired of damaging my hair with chemicals and I saw all these beautiful women on the internet who were successfully wearing their natural hair and looked great doing it!  I only transitioned for 3 months.  I'm not the patient kind.  I didn't wear extensions or braids or anything.  I mostly just tried to smooth my roots using gel and sometimes a flat iron but I tried to minimize that as well.  And then I said "enough is enough!" and I had my big sis chop it off.

What do you love most about being natural?
Not having to relax my hair, not having to go to the salon, and that it's different from what people expect from me and therefore it sets me apart from the majority.  Oh and also that it's me the way God meant me to look and I'm embracing that.

What is your regimen and how do you often style your hair?
I wash about once a week with a sulfate free shampoo.  I deep condition with my own mixture of shea butter, honey, and castor oil or whatever oil I have on hand.  I have also been adding Burts Bees grapefruit deep conditioner to the mix.  I change it up depending on what I have handy.  I usually use Shea Moisture leave in.  I then put my hair in twists for the week and pin it up in an updo for work.  I take my twists out for the weekends and wear it free in a twist out.  I try to spritz with water and seal in moisture with one of my oils ( Castor oil, Olive oil, a mixture of oils, whatever) once a day or as needed.  I also have been trying protein treatments and henna treatments about once every couple of months depending on what I feel my hair needs.  And I trim my hair as needed, every few months usually.  And that's it!

What advice do you have for other naturals or those considering going natural?
Do lots of research, take advantage of the resources available and there's tons of it!  Then simplify simplify simplify.  Experiment a bit and pick the basics of what works for you.  Keep it basic and don't get stressed out!  There'll be good days and bad days and that's fine.


What are three words that describe your hair now?
Thick, fabulous, touchable


What does being "natural" mean to you?
Saying F-U to anybody who says natural hair isn't practical or isn't beautiful.  It means that I don't have to conform to some ideal, that I'm perfect just the way God made me: kinky hair and all!









No comments:

Post a Comment